LIVING LIKE A FOCCER
A guide and memoir on living the good life: escape the rat race to enjoy freedom without self-doubt.
Written by Weeri
Do you ever feel stuck in the “rat race,” constantly working and hustling without any sense of freedom or fulfillment? If so, you’re not alone. Many people feel trapped in a cycle of stress, burnout, and self-doubt, wondering if there’s more to life than just going through the motions. The good news is that it’s possible to escape the rat race and find freedom without letting self-doubt hold you back.
In this article, we’ll explore the rat race, why it can harm our well-being, and how to break free from it. We’ll also discuss overcoming self-doubt and finding true freedom and fulfillment. So if you’re ready to take the first steps towards a more meaningful and fulfilling life, keep reading!
But what if there was a way to escape the rat race and live the good life, free from self-doubt and full of possibility? The FOCCER philosophy offers a roadmap for just that. FOCCER stands for Free, Open, Curious, and Creative. Living like a FOCCER allows you to break free from the rat race and discover the freedom, joy, and fulfillment of a truly fulfilling life.
What is the Rat Race?
The rat race is a term used to describe modern life’s competitive and often exhausting nature. It’s a metaphor for the daily grind of work, commute, sleep, and repeat that many people experience. The rat race can manifest in various aspects of our lives, such as work, relationships, and finances.
In work, the rat race refers to the endless pursuit of success, wealth, and status. It’s the pressure to climb the corporate ladder, work long hours, and sacrifice personal time for professional gain. The rat race can also be seen in relationships, where individuals may feel pressured to constantly compete with their peers for social acceptance, romantic partners, or even friendships. Financially, the rat race can be characterized by the never-ending cycle of earning, spending, and accumulating debt. People may feel compelled to keep up with the latest trends, buy expensive products, and live beyond their means to maintain their status or fit in with their peers.
The rat race can have adverse effects on our mental and physical health. It can lead to chronic stress, burnout, and a lack of fulfillment. It can also result in anxiety, depression, and self-doubt as we question whether we’re living the life we want or just going through the motions.
So, do you feel like you’re stuck in the rat race? Let’s explore how to get out.
Escaping the Rat Race
Escaping the rat race is a process that involves making intentional choices about how we live our lives. It’s about breaking free from the cycle of stress, competition, and self-doubt and finding a more fulfilling and meaningful way of living.
Here are some strategies that can help you to get out of the rat race:
- Simplify your life – Focus on what’s truly important to you and let go of the things that are not adding value to your life. This could mean decluttering your physical space, simplifying your schedule, or reducing your commitments.
- Find meaningful work – If you’re feeling stuck in a job that could be more fulfilling, consider exploring other career options or even starting your own business. Look for work that aligns with your values and interests and allows you to take responsibility.
- Practice mindfulness – Mindfulness can help you stay present and focused on what’s essential, even during a busy and chaotic environment. Take a few minutes daily to meditate, practice deep breathing, be still and quiet, go for a walk, or write a daily journal.
- Take small steps – Escaping the rat race takes time. It’s essential to take small steps toward freedom and fulfillment rather than trying to make drastic changes all at once. Celebrate your progress and stay focused on your goals.
Remember, everyone’s journey to escape the rat race will be different. Finding what works for you and making intentional choices that align with your values and curiosity is essential. Of course, making changes in your life is always tricky and scary. The next hurdle is overcoming self-doubt, which can often hold us back from achieving our goals.
The voice in our head tells us we need to be better, or that we are not smart nor talented enough to succeed. Self-doubt is a common obstacle that can hold us back from achieving our goals and finding true freedom and fulfillment. Overcoming self-doubt is vital to escaping the rat race and living a more fulfilling life.
Here are some strategies that can help you overcome self-doubt:
- Recognize negative self-talk – Notice when you’re engaging in negative self-talk and challenge those thoughts. Ask yourself if they’re true or if you’re just being too hard on yourself.
- Focus on your strengths – Instead of dwelling on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths and the things that you’re good at. Celebrate your accomplishments and acknowledge your successes.
- Surround yourself with plusses – Surround yourself with people who uplift and support you rather than the negative ones. Seek out win-win and encouraging relationships.
- Take small steps towards your goals, even if they scare you or make you uncomfortable. The more you take action, the more your confidence will grow.
Overcoming self-doubt is a process. From day to day, you might not feel like you’re making progress, or you might even feel you’re falling back. Be patient with yourself and celebrate your progress, no matter how small it may seem. When you give yourself a year, I can guarantee you will look back and be proud of how far you’ve come. With time and effort, you can break free from the rat race and find true freedom and fulfillment in life.
Finding Freedom and Fulfillment
Finding freedom and fulfillment is a journey -not a destination- that begins with self-awareness and intentional choices. It’s about creating a life that aligns with your values and interests and brings you a sense of purpose and joy without any guilt or self-doubt.
The domino effect
You must change things to find freedom and fulfillment and live the good without self-doubt. Change is always difficult and scary, takes much effort, and can be slow or painful. To guide you in the process of change, there are four basic rules that you need to follow. These rules will help you to get started and keep you on the right track to pursue your dream life. Keep working on these four rules daily, and after one year, you will be a step closer to escaping the rat race and living the good life without self-doubt. Guaranteed. Let’s explore the four rules:
- Live Free – You are the only person who needs to live with you for the rest of your life. It’s essential that a) you determine a set of values and b) you invest time and energy to live up to your values.
- Be Open – Inspiration comes from things you have yet to learn. Be open to new experiences and opportunities that come your way. Say yes to things that scare you or challenge you, and be willing to step outside your comfort zone.
- Stay Curious – Everyone has a set of unique knowledge and skills. Most people don’t know what they are and how to utilize them. Expand your knowledge and skills by following your curiosity. You can learn anything without wasting time in boring classrooms.
- Get Creative – Every person is born creative. You probably just forgot how to unlock your creativity. Turn your concepts and ideas into something you can see, touch, smell, taste, or use.
An easy reminder of the four steps is the phrase: Live like a FOCCER. Living Like a FOCCER is a framework that helps you to create systems to improve your quality of life. Below, I will give some examples of things you can do to Live like a FOCCER. Suppose you keep following the four elements below. In that case, you will slowly grow more self-confident while expanding your unique experiences, interests, and skills to escape the rat race.
Living free is the first rule of the FOCCER philosophy, and it’s an essential ingredient for escaping the rat race and finding fulfillment in life. To live free means letting go of the things that hold you back, decluttering your life, and simplifying your existence. Here are some tips for living a more free life:
- Simplify your life: Take a close look at your life and identify areas where you can simplify. It could be decluttering your home, downsizing your possessions, or cutting back on commitments. The goal is to reduce distractions and obligations that consume your time and energy.
- Let go of attachments: We often cling to things that no longer serve us, whether material possessions, relationships, or beliefs. Be honest about what you value, and let go of the rest. Letting go of these attachments can be challenging, but it’s essential for living a free life.
- Embrace minimalism: Minimalism is a lifestyle philosophy emphasizing simplicity, mindfulness, and intentionality. By embracing minimalism, you can focus on the things that truly matter in life, such as experiences, relationships, and personal growth.
By living free, you can escape the rat race and create a life that aligns with your values and priorities. Remember, living free isn’t about being reckless or irresponsible but instead about intentionally choosing a more straightforward, more fulfilling way of life.
Widen your experiences. Explore different cultures and lifestyles to find new inspiration. Open yourself up to what the world has to offer. You won’t find inspiration from what you already know. Inspiration comes from what you have yet to learn. Here are some things that you can do to broaden your horizon:
- Travel: Traveling to new places and immersing yourself in different cultures can broaden your perspective and open your mind to new ideas and ways of life.
- Try new things: Whether it’s trying a new hobby, taking a class, or meeting new people, stepping outside of your comfort zone can help you discover new interests and perspectives.
- Practice empathy: Empathy is the ability to understand and share the feelings of others. By practicing empathy, you can better understand others’ perspectives and foster more meaningful relationships.
Being open requires letting go of preconceived notions and embracing the unknown. It’s not always easy, but the rewards are worth it. By cultivating openness, you can expand your horizons and discover new possibilities for living a fulfilling life.
Curiosity fuels creativity, innovation, and personal growth, and it helps us stay engaged and passionate about life. Expand your knowledge and skills by simply following your curiosity. Learn something new by trying something new and doing things differently. Not because you have been told to do so but because you are curious. Here are some things you can do to become a supercharged version of yourself without wasting time in boring classrooms:
- Ask questions: Be bold and ask questions and seek new information. Asking questions can lead to new insights and discoveries.
- Learn something new: Whether taking a class, reading a book, or watching a documentary, learning something new can help you stay engaged and curious about the world.
- Embrace change: Change can be scary, but it’s also an opportunity for growth and discovery. Embrace change and be open to new experiences and opportunities.
Staying curious requires a willingness to explore and learn, even in uncertainty. It’s not always comfortable, but it’s essential for living a fulfilling life. By staying curious, you can continue to grow and evolve as a person and discover new possibilities for happiness and fulfillment.
Creativity allows us to express ourselves, solve problems, and discover new ways of thinking and living. Create something valuable. Something that started in your head and ends up as something you can see, feel, touch, or taste. Make yourself (and your mother) proud by creating something out of nothing. Creating something from your ideas will boost your self-worth and accomplishment. Here are some things you can do:
- Make time for creativity: Schedule time in your day or week for creative pursuits, whether painting, writing, or playing music. By prioritizing creativity, you’ll be more likely to stick with it.
- Embrace imperfection: Creativity is messy and imperfect, and that’s okay. Don’t let a fear of failure hold you back from trying something new or expressing yourself creatively.
- Collaborate: Working with others can inspire new ideas and perspectives and help you discover new ways of approaching creative challenges.
Getting creative requires a willingness to experiment and take risks. It’s not always easy, but the rewards are worth it. By getting creative, you can discover new ways of expressing yourself and engaging with the world around you and find fulfillment.
Explore Living Like a FOCCER
Disclaimer: this is a document with a life and will of its own. Over time, the information you will find on "How To Live Like a FOCCER" might change (most probably will). The intention is not to create as many blog posts as possible. The intention is to update this blog to make it even better. So please feel free to comment below what helped you, what did not help you, or what you miss.
Congratulations! You've reached the end of this page.